My 8-day Spring Water Challenge journey…
As a health coach and advocate for the importance of drinking water, I thought it was important to document and share my own struggles and realizations.
I created some rules…
- Coffee and caffeinated tea do not count
- If I had an alcoholic beverage I had to add a glass, same for caffeinated coffee
- Create and adhere to a hydration schedule
…and promised to…
- Drink a glass of water before anything else or at least before I left the house, even just to walk the dog
Here is how I made it work
As I put the tea kettle on each morning I made sure I poured myself a glass of water and finished it before I left the house. Sometimes my first glass was warm water with lemon, which is highly beneficial to the body. Warm water with lemon can activate enzymes that help your liver to detox and flush out toxins from the body. Water with lemon also helps balance your body’s PH and gives you a boost of Vitamin C.
Next I stuck to the schedule. Here it goes!
- 7:00 am to 10:00 am, 2 glasses of water
- 10:00 am to 1:00 pm, 2 glasses of water
- 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm, 2 glasses of water
- 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm, 2 glasses of water
This worked for me but feel free to modify it to fit your needs.
Some things I learned these last 8 days…
- Reduced food cravings; When I’m fully hydrated I’m not as hungry
- Increased energy; I didn’t feel tired at 3:00 pm
- Radiant skin; my skin looked great
- Improved mental focus and clarity; I actually remembered where I parked the car at the gym
Every day is not the same. Your body will crave and/or need different amounts of water based on your activity level, what food you are fueling your body with, and the weather. That being said, 8 glasses is a good place to start but it may not be your magic number; experiment with how you feel.
I hope this is just the beginning of your continued commitment to drink more water and less of what ever else you are drinking. Enjoy the benefits of having a fully hydrated body. Infinite possibilities exist when we are adequately hydrated…cheers!
Deanna D, @hydrategirl